Tuesday, April 26, 2011

What's the big deal?

So I've been gluten free for 3 months. I can't even describe to you how much healthier I feel, or how happy I am to finally feel normal again...

But that being said, I've had some annoying conversations with a few people. I know people have the right to their opinion, but until you've been sick for 6 1/2 years-without doctors figuring it out or even caring.... you have NO idea what it's like. So no I haven't offically been diagnosed with celiac disease or with a gluten sensitivity, if I waited on doctors I would still be ill. It takes an average of 10 years to get diagnosed, NO THANK YOU!!! The GF diet has helped me so much. So who are you to say I shouldn't be on this 'fad' diet?!?!?!?! FYI it isn't a fad at all, so get over yourself and do some research before you tell me what you think.

Sorry I'm done ranting about that.

One of the things that has been a major learning experience is grocery shopping. Looking at labels, figuring out if it really is gluten free or not, and wondering if cross contamination is an issue. The labeling laws right now aren't cutting it. Celiac disease isn't a joke, it might not kill you instantly like a peanut allergy would. But it causes so many other health issues that you could call it a silent and patient killer. I won't go into all that, you can look it up yourself if you care. My point is the FDA needs to take this seriously and make strict labeling laws when it comes to gluten.

If you could sign this petition, or send a letter to the FDA, also tell anyone you know. Maybe just maybe things will change.

So to summarize, no I haven't had some quack tell me I have celiac or that I'm 'sensitive' to gluten. (I don't have much faith in doctors) But I could care less about that. My body told me I was poisoning myself and it didn't like it. So now that I've been gluten free I finally feel normal. I won't go back no matter how yummy normal cupcakes may look. Because let's be honest, when I see normal gluten containing food, I see how I would be after I eat that stuff--- me crunched over wishing the pain would stop. It's just not worth it to me or my body. I'm not saying I don't miss it, I do at times, but no thank you.

So please visit the link above and help the 1 in 133 people that do have celiac, and 18 million Americans that are sensitive to gluten......and people like me. Thank you for your support :)


Photobucket

No comments: