Monday, January 23, 2012

GF flour tortillas

I don't remember where I got this recipe but I will admit it's pretty good. I'm just not very good at rolling them out.

2 cups better batter gluten free flour
1 tsp baking powder
1⁄2 tsp sugar
11⁄4 tsp salt
2 TBs vegetable or other shortening (I used palm shortening)
3⁄4 to 1 cup warm water

1. Combine all of the dry ingredients, then cut in or work in the shortening using a pastry blender, the blade attachment on a kitchenaid or even just with two forks. I use the kitchenaid paddle attachment and it works just fine. Once the dough is sand consistency...

2. Add the warm water, starting with 3/4 cup and mix well.

3. Continue to add water until a soft, cohesive dough is formed.

4. Heat a griddle to medium heat. Then, form a ball of dough into a flattened disk, cupping the outside edges a bit to form a round.

5. Using a rolling pin, roll into a round disk about 1⁄8 inch thick and about 8 inches in diameter or to your preference. I used a little more better batter on my surface so they wouldn't stick.

6. Cook one at a time on a hot griddle until the surface bubbles. Turn only once, the first side should have brown flecks.

7. Bake until the second side has slightly browned – shouldn't take too long.

8. Keep warm in a tortilla keeper or wrapped in a cloth until served.
You can also store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a week.

Just reheat like you would regular flour tortillas.

No comments: